Thursday, June 07, 2007

Our days, LBS, Kindergarten "math"

We have spent the last few days in the following ways:
  • painting the house
  • working on the master bath remodel (its usuable and almost finished!..pics later)
  • playing with friends (pictures later)
  • reading books
  • working at the Library Book Sale
  • Shopping at the LBS :)
  • Doing research for art camp
  • painting (pictures later)
  • working on jewelry (pictures later)
  • pretending Pokemon
  • reading National Geographic Kids Mag.
  • doing bookwork
  • asking questions :)
  • jumping on the trampoline
One of the main things we did today was volunteer for the library book sale. The kids and I worked on Tuesday to help organize the books, and today we went to shop early and then volunteered. The kids were "runners", carrying books from two different sections to the front of the room, and I helped write up tickets for purchases. Of all the books we bought, I am most excited about the books below:
  1. A 5 or 6 inch Websters Dictionary!
  2. Eating for Life Cookbook
  3. Art Slides
  4. Popular Science Year By Year
  5. National Audubon Society Small books with sticker "plates"
  6. Texas History Book
  7. Health and Wellness Book
Here are what I can tell are the kids favorites:
  1. 2006 Genus book of World Records
  2. Pokemon videos
  3. History of the American Flag
  4. Star Wars Guide to Vessels
  5. DK Book of Dog Breeds
Today the kids did bookwork. Nathan's math book sheet was a problem like this:
Please write the number
200,000 + 50,000 + 4,000 + 100 + 20 + 5 =.............
It's not like I didnt know it was coming but I keep thinking "he is only in Kindergarten!.. he wont be able to do this!" (or "shouldnt" I should say) .. the they guy always surprises me! I explained what to do and the said "OH.. that's easy!" and then after doing a page with him he said .. "These are fun.. can I do some more!" To think if he were in Kindergarten he would be learning:
"Your child will practice counting numbers from one to 10. By the end of the year, she will be able to count to numbers greater than 10 and to count by fives (5, 10, 15, 20...) and tens (10, 20, 30...)."
"While some kindergartners can memorize specific addition and subtraction facts, such as 2+2=4,"

  • Use ordinal number names from first to tenth.
  • Compare two groups to determine which is more, less or the same.
  • Develop the concept of first, middle and last within a set of three objects.
  • Respond to directions about location (e.g., above, below, between).
  • Compare objects based on size and capacity.

All I can think about on days like today is "I know we are not the perfect homeschooling family, I know that I will never be able to teach them everything the ever need to know in life. But what I see in moments like these is how wonderful homeschooling is simply for the fact that my children can go at their own pace! They can learn, explore, relearn, and research as much as they care too. The can move ahead or skip back depending on their own needs. I also know that learning to LOVE learning is the key to being well educated and if I can show my kids how to do that.. then everything will be ok!"



No comments: