Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Our Day

Today started off like any other. I got up and started to make breakfast for the family. The kids, dog and cat all wondered into the den to see what was cooking :) We all had breakfast and gave goodbye hugs to Daddy and started our "schooling". The kids have been asking more and more if they could watch TV.. but the rule is.. no.. no "freetime" until schooling is complete.

So.. the kids started with Math-u-see. Cat finished her two pages all on her own with only one question :) Nate began rounding to the nearest 100th place so I showed him what that ment.. he caught on quickly.. and was FAST at telling me how to round 155. He complete his work and began his handwriting. Joseph started his math.. but for the last few days he has been "procrastinating" a bit.. I have noticed that his math pages have more and more problems and I can sense that he is having issues with his eyes. So.. after he completed a few problems on his own (written) I did the rest orally. I try not to do this very often.. only when I sense he is getting frustrated. The LAST thing I want is for him to be frustrated in Math or Reading. .. He breezed through his oral math work wonderfully.

After Math we spent some time looking at the kids flower garden. Morning Glory, Sun flowers, and others are popping out of the ground. The Sunflower was GREAT.. two had the seed shells laying on the tiny leaves. The kids thought that was so neat!

The kids had a bit of a break while I cleaned the kitchen and visited with my Aunt-in-law .. she lives next door. .. Anyway.. she had cut some Amarillas (like the flowers in the photo but ours were red instead of pink) and I noticed them in her trash in the garage.. the stems of these flowers are hollow! .. which I didnt know.. so I asked if I could take it and show the kids. She then offered to pull up a small oak tree that had 4 leaves on it.. she dug it up and you could see the acorn and root system. I said "thanks for the botony lesson!" and went to show the kids. Joseph dissected the flower and all its parts and commented on the interesting smell the stem had. The kids alll thought it was really neat but it seems that Joseph took a liking to it more than the others..

As we were looking at the plants together I heard thunder and turned on the TV and sure enough we had some sever weather heading out way.. We ended up spending about an hour in the hallway reading our Bible and Cricket book :) .. the kids liked it.. although I dont think they like the bad weather. We might have to sit in the hallway on a sunny day sometime :) After the storms past we looked outside and saw our road was a huge river of water. I then suggested the kids make paper boats and after they were made we went outside and sailed them down the stream that was our road. After we were finished Cat said "Now THAT Was FUN!"

The kids have been working all day on some special artwork .. which I dont know they name of.. but you have beads that you place on a guide tray and then iron them .. they melt together to form the design you created. I will post pictures of these later.. but the rest of the day was filled with reading, art/craft, jewelry making, as well as some TV. I allowed them to watch the Bernstein Bears, Reading Rainbow, and a bit of Animal Planet (during which time I got my workout in).

All and all it was a fun day. Filled with LOTS of questions.. and answers.. and great memories!

Blessings
Ruthie

No comments: