Monday, April 02, 2007

Loving our Spring Days

(I am not sure why this post is all in different size fonts.. I have tried to fix it but it just won't co-operate.. I guess I should have titled this post "The Mixed Up Fonts of Mrs. Ruthie S."..)

The last few days have been so beautiful here that we have really enjoyed the spring weather. Our Gladiolas, Morning Glory, Lark Spurs, and Roses are all getting ready to make it really colorful in our yard! We used the afternoon today for a nature study of our back yard. The kids gathered leaves from all the different trees, shrubs, and plants in our backyard. They brought them in the house and did rubbing's or sketched them for their Nature Books. I also put them between wax paper so we could mount them in the books. The children also copied or illustrated a poem by Emily Dickinson called "Nature", and we looked up what nature meant in Latin. They worked for quite a while and we put the books aside to put together tomorrow. I will post pictures of their first entries when they are finished.

We finished The Mixed Up Files Of Basil E Frankweiler
(and could that title be any longer?). The Kids LOVED it. Today they also worked on a Lap book for the book which we will add to tomorrow as well.

Catherine began reading the Children's Illustrated Classic "Jane Eyre" and is flying through it. I told her last night as she stayed up late to read "Catherine dont you wakeup in the morning with a Literature hangover like your Mom did a few weeks ago" (When I read the original book I stayed up until 230am to finish it.. I couldn't put it down!). When she finishes I will get the old movie and we will have a movie night and see if its any better than the book. (I am sure it wont be.. but its fun anyway!)

We have read quite a few books the last few days.. here are some favorites:
  • My Senator and Me by Kennedy illustrated by David Small
  • So You Want to Be President.. Illustrated by David Small
  • The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don and Audry Wood Illustrated by Don Wood
  • Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His Dream by Robert Burleigh Illustrated by Wendell Minor ( this book includes some of Audubons Nature Journal notes and paintings of animals.. GREAT book)
We are on the verge of getting the Israelites into the Promised land.. and should accomplish that tomorrow! Last time we read Moses passed away and Joshua took over Leadership.

The kids have also been flying through the audio books of Magic Tree House. I have no idea what number they are on.. but they LOVE those books. I got some of the research guides at the library and the boys esp loved them.

I have LOVED the Simply Charlotte Mason site
(thanks C) .. And will begin using some of their printouts for copy work for the boys. They are so board with just doing handwriting pages and I LOVE how this site has a mixture of Hymn's, poems, and scripture for them to practice writing. There are also some corner bookmarks I thought were great.. Catherine has already made hers .. they look wonderful.

Ok.. thats all for now.. I just finished mowing the yard and I need to go clean the kitchen before it gets to late :)

blessings
Ruthie



1 comment:

charlotte said...

I still just love the look of your blog, even if the fonts don't always cooperate! It sounds like ya'll are having great fun together. The Scripture Memory System on the Simply CM site is something I'm going to do someday...

What a joyful family!